Herricos Stapountzis : Recent publications
(1999-2002) and Gallery of Flow Visualisations
1. Stapountzis H., Yakinthos K., Goulas A., Efstathiou T., Iordanoglou A., 1999, " Momentum and heat transport by two parallel periodic jets", 2nd Panhellenic Conf. Chemical Eng., Thessaloniki, Greece, Jiolas Publ., ISBN 960-8050-00-6, pp 681-684 (in Greek).
2. Stapountzis H., Yakinthos K., Tsipas D., Goulas A., Valougeorgis D., Gikas A., 1999, " Optimisation of transport phenomena by jet impingement on flat and curved surfaces", 6th Nat. Conf IHT, Volos, Greece, ISSN 1108-3603, vol. 2, pp 121-129 (in Greek).
3 Pattas K.N., Stapountzis H., Michaelidis A., Tsilingiridis G. , 1999, " An innovative design of a 250 kW HAWT with direct connection of rotor to the gear box", 6th Nat. Conf IHT, Volos, Greece, ISSN 1108-3603, vol. 1, pp 357-364 (in Greek).
4. Stapountzis H. , Yakinthos Ê., Goulas A., Kallergis L.S., Kambanis V. 1999, " Cylinder Wake - Airfoil Interaction with Application to Downwind HAWT" European Wind Energy Conference, E.L. Petersen (Ed.) Publ. by James & James, ISBN 1 902916 00 X , pp 172-175.
5 Gikas A., Yakinthos K, Valougeorgis D. , Stapountzis H., 1999 " Impingement of a Circular Jet on a Heated Flat Surface", FLUENT Users Seminar, Sheffield Sept. 1999, UK.
6. Stapountzis H., Tsipas D. , Stamatellos A., 2000, " A Comparative Study of Heat and Mass Transfer by Impinging Jets". in Advances in Turbulence, , C. Dopazo (Ed.), CIMNE Publ. ISBN 84-89925-65-8, p. 955 (Proc. 8th European Turbulence Conference, Barchelona 2000).
7. Stapountzis H., Psik R., Ávgelis A., Vlachos N., 2000, "Mass Transport by Impinging Jets on Flat and Curved Surfaces", paper 286, 9th Symposium on Flow Visualization, Edinburgh UK, I. Grant (Ed. ), ISBN 0-953399-1-1-7.
8. Stapountzis H., Lydon G. 2001, "Momentum and Heat Transport inside and around a Cylindrical Cavity in Cross Flow", 2nd Southeastern Europe Fluent Users Group Meeting, November 1-2, Bucharest, Romania
9. Stapountzis H., Cambanis V., 2001, "An Experimental Study and FLUENT Simulation of the Horizontal-Axis Wind Turbine (HAWT) Blade-Tower Dynamic Interaction" 2nd Southeastern Europe Fluent Users Group Meeting, November 1-2, , Bucharest, Romania
10. Stapountzis H. , Pantoulis D., Papadimitriou E., , Karagiannis D. , 2002, "Comparison of heat and abrasion mass transfer by impinging jets on flat and curved surfaces " 20th Heat Transfer Conf. UIT , Maratea , Italy . June 2002.
12. Stapountzis H., Alygizakis E., Ezersky A.B., Vassilicos J.C. , 2002 , " Interfacial mixing by large vortical structures " , research work in progress.
Computed velocity vectors in and around a cylindrical cavity in cross flow using FLUENT, Ref. 
Cylindrical cavity in cross flow. Dye flow visualisation in water channel, flow from right to left. (a) outflow
(b) Visualisation along cavity diameter
(c) Indicator of shear stress on bottom of cavity
Interaction of airfoil with steady cylinder wake
Water towing tank. Cylinder and Airfoil steady.
Cylinder steady. Airfoil moving downwards
Interaction of steady airfoil with moving cylinder wake
Cylinder moving downwards. Flow from left to right. Computed vorticity contours 
Abrasion of flat surface by normally impinging circular jet of air - solid particles. No cross flow 
Abrasion of flat surface by inclined impinging jet of air - solid particles. Jet flow comes from left.
Abrasion of cylindrical surface by normally impinging circular jet of air - solid particles. Jet axis through cylinder center plane.
Evaporation of kerosene oil and chalk powder mixture from a flat surface due to normally impinging circular air jet 
Normally impinging jet. Contour plot of computed velocity magnitude using FLUENT 
Smoke flow visualisation, oblique jet impingement on flat surface 
Smoke flow visualisation, off-center jet impingement on cylindrical surface
Measured heat transfer around the stagnation point for normal jet impingement ( ö = 0 deg) on a flat surface. h=distance from surface, D = jet nozzle inside diameter , 
Dissolution of water paint layer by normally impinging water jet. Flow visualisation in water tank. 10 s intervals 
Computed velocity magnitude for two axisymmetric steady parallel jets using FLUENT 
Mixing by large vortical structures near the free surface of air - water flows